"https://nothing2wearnovello.com/" nothing 2 wear : Fashion Month Recap

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Fashion Month Recap

fashion month recap







The good, the bad, the scary, and the stunning. If you're looking for a Fashion Month recap you've come to the right place.















I have a lot of ground to cover today, so I'll just cut to the chase. Fashion Month is officially over and the 2014 Fall/Winter collections have gone down the runways in New York, London, Milan and Paris. It's time to look ahead to the Fall and the hot trends and cool designers we will all be coveting.

So lets dive right in.


New York Highlights: snow, a streaker, more snow, Coach 2.0, and celebrating 40 years of the wrap dress. 


Rosie Assoulin is an up-and-coming designer who has proven in the past year that she is a force to be reckoned with. Although she is still the new kid on the block she commands the attention of international audiences with her unique, fashion forward and sculptured silhouettes. There has been major hype around her designs which I believe is fully deserved. Her collection was not only one of my favorite from NYC but from the entire month. 
rosie assoulin
Rosie Assoulin
Alice + Olivia is on my list every season because designer Stacey Bendet has such an awesome hippie vibe that always translates into all per pieces. Her latest collection was a fusion of Victorian era and 70's bad ass chick.
alice and olivia
Alice + Olivia
Not to miss from NYC: DVF is celebrating the 40th anniversary of her famous wrap dress this year with the Journey of a Dress exhibition in Los Angeles. For fashion week she carried the celebrations over to NYC, hosting a party and of course presenting a pattern-tastic collection for Fall/Winter. Also on her A-game this season was Posh Spice. Victoria Beckham, did THIS (middle image below), proving the sheath dress isn't the only silhouette she knows. Lastly, Coach had the make over that finally won me over. At Coach's first ever ready to wear presentation British designer Stuart Vevers made his debut. The collection was made to reflect the American woman, specifically from ideas he pulled off the streets of NYC (his new home). It translated into a wearable, still young-ish, yet practical collection consisting of shearling details, rubber soled boots and lots of leather. 
nyfw
DVF, VB, Coach
London Highlights:London fashion "week" is more like a long weekend, but it remains the city I would pick if I had to choose only one fashion week to attend. Sometimes we forget that there are some powerhouse designers who come out of the UK. 

Burberry being one of them. The hand painted accessories and trench coats, belts, scarves, etc from the new collection are stunning and were a reminder of the resurgence of the hand made tradition. Shouldn't everything that costs upwards of 1K be hand made though?
burberry hand painted
Burberry
Peter Pilotto showed their ready to wear collection not too long after the wild success of their collaboration with Target and international sales on Net-A-Porter only a few weeks earlier. Because I know I likely wont be getting my hands on any of this collection I stocked up on their Target collection, because I needed some of their signature bold and colorful patterns in my closet one way or another. 
peter pilotto
Peter Pilotto
Topshop Unique made me feel all warm and cozy. Which is great cause its still -19 here in Toronto and I was wishing I could get some of this shearling LIKE NOW, not 6 months from now. Also, its nice to see leather skirts are still kicking around for fall/winter 2014.
topshop coat
Topshop Unique
Milan Highlights:apparently it rained the entire week in Milan, which was only depressing foreshadowing of the storm that raged my heart when I laid eyes on the new Moschino.
moschino runway
Moschino
I like to call this Moschino 2.NO. Simply because; no! Show goers at Jeremy Scott's first collection at the helm of Italian fashion house Moschino received an invite in the form of a chocolate bar (resembling Hershey's) which I admit I thought was pretty cool. I excepted so much more and and at the same time so much less. You know what I mean? This over the top, totally impractical collection did nothing for me. On the bright side it reminded me of my love for Mr Sponge Bob Square Pants. But I thought Spongey lived in a pineapple under the sea? Turns out he lives in Milano, works at McDonalds and enjoys snacking on Cheez-Its. Guys, this is precisely why Italians make fun of North Americans. I am not impressed.

Gucci wins in the category of convincing me to lift my life time ban on pink clothing. Although I'm currently still not wearing pink. It has to be head to toe Gucci in shades of blush, dusty rose and pale pink or its a no-go.

gucci runway
Gucci
Paris Highlights:Paris itself is a highlight, but if I had to narrow it down to something I would say Chanel, Chanel and Chanel. Oh Karl.
dior runway
Dior
At Dior Raf reminded me that I really need to step up my suit game this fall. Also, the models held their coats as if they were their own butler.  I liked this because its seemed to be the replacement for wearing your coat over your shoulders without putting your arms through the sleeves, which I happen to hate. 

At Louis Vuitton Nicolas Ghesquière showed his debut collection, following in the beloved footsteps of Marc Jacobs he included a small tribute to his predecessor with mention in a letter every guest received before show.The show was the most anticipated of Paris fashion week and Nicolas did not disappoint.

louis vuitton
And at Chanel, Karl took us to the supermarket to pick up some essentials: Chanel paper towels, a carton of Chanel eggs, a supermodel and a pop star. Will that be paper or plastic?
cara and riri


chanel shopping center
chanel suit
Yes, Karl, who has most likely never stepped foot in a supermarket created a full size replica of one to showcase his collection. The Chanel Shopping Center! The clothes, the props, the atmosphere, even the music was on point (hello Lady Gaga). Hands down Chanel wins best show experience and biggest buzz created. My Instagram almost blew up with pictures of Riri and Cara in the shopping cart.
Chanel purse

So, which collection did you dig? What trends will you be investing in or trying to emulate via more affordable means (aka Zara) come fall?

P.S Toronto Fashion week begins on March 17th, and Nothing 2 Wear will be there reporting from the front third row. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Love the recap! I'm leaving TO on March 17..... too bad, but I'll definitely be reading your recap!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete