"https://nothing2wearnovello.com/" nothing 2 wear : The Rookie Department Part 2

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Rookie Department Part 2

Happy Monday! The sun is shining here in Toronto and over the weekend walking through the city I noticed everyone has busted out their spring summer wardrobe; amaze-balls! While our short term forecast calls for sunny skies and a light breeze I know much better, here in Toronto we experience brutally humid summers! Brutal I tell you!

So what is a fashionista to do when she spends an hour drying then flat ironing her locks, only to step outside and experience frizz of epic proportions? 
My answer is to pull your hair back and suck it up. For those of us that abuse their pony tail privileges even when it’s not humid we may be looking for something a bit more interesting here.
With that said, as promised in my last DIY hair related post I tried out a few more styles, and below you will find a detailed account of my experiences. 

The Sock Bun: a reader of mine commented that the sock bun was fairly high on the difficulty scale, and I agree. Depending on your hair length it can be a really b*tch! My hair reaches my hip bones; therefore the sock bun is not only a neat way to pull my hair back, but also a great arm workout (try holding your arms above your head for ten min as you roll your hair down a damn sock).  My main issue is getting the hair smooth around the sock in the last step. Making a nice high poly tail, finding a sock, and securing with bobby pins once you’re done are all quite easy. Make sure you use a fair amount of hair spray at the end to keep fly away’s at bay, the style looks best if it is sleek rather than messy. Sleek = chic, Limp/frizzy = grandma 
sock bun
I would rate this style as an 8 out of 10 on the chic scale. Mainly because EVERYONE seems to be sporting a sock bun these days.

Difficulty factor would be 4 out of 10 for medium length hair and a 6 out of 10 for long hair.

French Braid Bun: I spotted this step-by step a few months ago and tried it once myself, with beginners luck I managed to pull it off pretty effortlessly. But this past weekend when I had a helping hand i realized it really is a better hair style for those of us that have someone on hand to do the braiding. Bestie noticed me struggling with my braid as it reached the back of my head and decided to take over. Her tip was to keep the braids TIGHT! 
french braid bun
Check out her creation below, I think she did a pretty damn good job, and it looks a lot like the picture above. I finished it off with a shine hair spray to control fly always and make it more sleek at the front. 
french braid bun
I would rate this style an 8 out of 10 on the chic scale. 

Difficult rating would have to be at about an 8, while its not impossible to do on your own, the final product is much nicer if you have someone French braid your hair for you. 

Would you try out the French braid bun? If you have and want to share any tips or tricks then please do so in the comments below. 

I should mention I have two other styles that I have clipped and saved and will be trying out one this weekend. If you have any others that you would like me to try feel free to leave a link or picture also in the comments. I would love to be your guinea pig :) 

1 comment:

  1. I loved both the styles..since summer's here..going out in the sun is bad for the hair..gonna try this out soon!
    https://magnefiestaofmumbai.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete