Trend Alert!! Capes are large and in charge this fall
When you think of capes you most likely picture a super hero, flying above roofs tops and in between tall buildings or across an ocean, zipping off into the atmosphere. Or maybe you think back to dress up days as a child when you were Wonder Woman or Batman. OR maybe you just know whats up and you're eagerly anticipating fall because this year capes are EVERYTHING!
This happens to work for me, cause I love capes (I already own several) and I currently don't fit into any of my coats. So its a win win.
Some of you may not be willing to try the trend on because I will admit at first capes look confusing and weird. But not to worry, I have some tips + some ideas of which ones you should consider picking up this fall. Also, a few of this seasons best capes are featured below.
This is my dream cape, at $2,740 its hardly a practical investment, after all it doesn't have sleeves and living in Toronto I would be limited to only wearing it for about 3 weeks this year. But a girl can dream cant she? Etro leather trimmed cape from Net-A-Porter
This is THE cape of the season. Burberry sent Queen Cara down the runway wearing a different version with her monogrammed initials on it and so the cape craze began. Any Burberry cape is going to be a hot commodity this season. This style is also my favorite, its simply one continuous piece of wool that you have to wrap or tie or sling over your shoulder, you can even use it as a massive scarf! Burberry wool and cashmere cape from Net-A-Porter
Tips for an enjoyable cape experience
- I should mention that the first rule of rocking a cape is to be confident (see runway model in image above). Its the outerwear item that totally calls for some major attitude.
- If you're a beginner and not sure of what to pair with your cape just know that skinny jeans plus knee high boots always work
- Carry a clutch because shoulder bags look a bit awkward
- Hair up is always good so that you don’t fuss over having your hair get caught in the neck of the cape
- Coordinate the cape with whatever top or sweater you’re wearing underneath since the cape doesn’t cover your sleeves, so don’t forget they will be visible.
- Try a cape over a flowy, flowery dress, this boho meets military inspired look is huge this season.
So have you or are you willing to try out the cape trend this fall? If so then here are some more options to get you into the cape spirit.